Thursday 5 January 2017

What Was I Thinking?

I went grocery shopping yesterday at 'No Frills'...a bag your own grocery store for those who are not familiar. I usually go with my daughter as, first, I hate the parking, and second, she bags my groceries and does all the heavy lifting.

I ventured out this time with my neighbor, and all went well until I was packing my groceries. I always feel such pressure to be fast, and the bags never cooperate so I end up tossing everything in with no order.

Yesterday, as I reached for the button to move the belt along, I twisted or did something to my 'bad' left knee. The pain was horrible and I needed to take the weight off of it and ended up leaning on the counter...an immediate attention getter.

I was still in pain, but able to walk home and get my groceries away in the fridge, freezer and cupboards. Then I covered my knee in this great pain relief ointment and laid down.

I'm a multi-tasker, so while I rested my knee I started a new crochet project. And here's where I went from resting to stupid.

My pattern fell between the bed and the wall. I tried to reach it and got my 'bad' left wrist wedged and had to tug to get it free. I decided to move the foot of the bed away from the wall, and managed this but still couldn't reach the pattern.

Now, I was determined, and the only solution was to move the head of the bed out from the wall. I eased the bedside table out of my way, and pulled on the bed. I felt a rip of pain immediately down my right side.

I spent an uncomfortable night, took some Tylenol, used lots of the analgesic ointment and rested under my heated blanket.

A couple of time during the night I barely made it to standing, and believe me it was a struggle to get to the bathroom. By morning I was still stiff and sore, slept in and finally forced myself to get up and moving.

A little activity goes a long way and I soon needed to rest. Now, dinner done and out of the way, I'm ready for my bed.

Downside to it all, I played with that pattern and decided I didn't like it. Should have left it behind the bed and saved myself a lot of pain and aggravation. Lesson learned.


No comments:

Post a Comment