Thursday 22 January 2015

Lesson Learned


I went to the doctor the other day because of pain behind my right ear. I was thinking ear infection as I went through this last October, but the doctor said no. He thought it was a neuritis and prescribed me an NSAID, a nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug called Naprosyn.

I am well acquainted with this drug, having taken it for more than 15 years for joint pain. When I became less active because of the MS, I switched to Advil, still an anti-inflammatory, but cheaper and only took it on a needs basis.

But now I take Lasix, a diuretic. I took the Lasix early, and the other later when I sat down with my coffee and yogourt. It was at that time I decided to read the Patient Information Sheet that was given to me for the new prescription.

Wasn’t I surprised to find that Lasix and Naprosyn are contraindicated. In other words, not recommended to be taken at the same time. Oops.

I called the pharmacist to check on it and there shouldn’t be any real problems, but I learned that those few minutes of anxiety could have been avoided if I’d read the information BEFORE taking the drug.


A lesson learned.

No comments:

Post a Comment