Thursday 28 May 2015

Hock and Spit



After being a nurse for many decades, I feel I am pretty immune to bodily functions, odors and noises. There is one thing that does make the hair on the back of my neck stand up...that action of hocking and spitting.

I looked it up (of course I did) and found I had the phrase wrong. It’s actually hock a loogie.

Hock a Loogie: to cough up and spit out a large glob of phlegm, usually resulting in a loud cough or throat clearing noise.

The reason this came to mind is that I have had a bad cold and cough for five days now. At first the cough was sharp, and nothing seemed to relieve it. After about 48 hours I could feel the congestion in my chest, the difference in my cough which became looser and...more productive.

Now I have never been able to do that hock and spit thing, maybe because I don’t like spitting. To be honest, I think it’s a gender thing, another one of those things that guys can do, and most women can’t.

Interesting where your mind goes when you’re tired, can’t concentrate and are napping frequently.

I was surprised with lunch today when my daughter dropped by to visit. There’s some guilt there as I probably caught my cold from her daughter. But I got a nice turkey and rice soup, and one of those decadent new chocolate drinks from Tim’s.


Soup for her caring soul, the chocolate to ease her guilt. Worked for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment