Friday 20 November 2015

Bad Day Rising



I had a sense, as I dragged myself from sleep that it was not going to be a good day. I had that dull ache in my head, fuzzy like a hangover. I was surprised to see the time, and knew I had slept long and deep.

As I got out of bed, my knees almost buckled with the pain in my lower back. I struggled to the bathroom, and back to bed, for a rest on the heating pad. But I couldn’t stay in bed forever.

I was trying to think of what I had done the day before to warrant the back pain today, and other than working on my painting, I had really done nothing. So maybe it was the standing, and bending over the small table I use as a work space. I definitely need to consider getting that bar height table.

Of course, it just goes that when you are in pain, the rest of your movements become clumsy. I was looking for my scissors, and as is my way when knee deep in a project, have too many little piles of paper and such on all available surfaces. I knocked the remote off the table and saw something black go under the fridge. Really?

I used the dry mop to try and reach under, but to no avail. There was no other choice but to get down on my hands and knees. A Herculean task on a good day.

I grabbed a long handled wooden spoon and used the stool to ease myself down. My bad knee does not do well with this action, but at the moment, the back was worse. I leaned down, used the spoon and out came a black pen. But all is not lost; from this vantage point I see the remote under the chair.

It was a struggle, but I got back up, to standing. Moving was something else. I managed to fall into my chair, and here I sit, gathering courage to get up and make my way back to bed and my heating pad.


I want to work on the painting, but it will have to wait a while. Besides, I haven’t found my scissors yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment