Friday 10 February 2017

Memory Glitches

The cognitive issues with MS are very complicated, as is anything related to the brain.

I can see something I know I should know, and be totally confused. Like this week, I was typing in my grandson's name, and knew as I looked at it that something was wrong. It seemed off to me, but how could I have made a mistake with his name, I've been writing it for 11 years.

So, I left it the way I'd written it and then today, saw the way someone else wrote it and yes, I did spell it wrong. I added a letter, sounded the same, but not spelled the same.

There are other times I have looked at something and can't understand what it means. Like the day I was driving and had a green light, and was momentarily confused as to what green meant. Lucky for me, I've never been confused with the red or yellow.

I know we ca all have moments of forgetfulness...like where are the keys, what is my postal code, you get the idea. The kind of lapses I experience are different, and I think more like what an Alzheimer's patient feels when he/she no longer recognizes what was once familiar.

Lucky for me, I have a family who understand these lapses and don't make a big deal of it. But for me, I have a hard time with these brain issues. It's hard to know and accept that you are not the same person you once were, in smarts and personality, and the real scary part, who you might become in the future.

One day at a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment