Wednesday 1 October 2014

A Mind is a Terrible Thing to Waste



I can’t believe the toll this last month has taken on my mind and body. I suppose after what happened last, year after the move, I shouldn’t be surprised. Any stress, any illness or undo sustained effort puts more strain on my system than I can handle.

September started with a cold and a toothache. I put the tooth thing on hold while I endured more than a week of sneezing, sniffles, runny nose and a cough. Meanwhile my abscessed tooth was up and down with the degree of pain it caused.

At the same time, I hurt my finger. Mallet Finger they call it, basically a ruptured tendon so now my left little finger is permanently in the bent position and another source of occasional pain. Like I needed more pain.

Had the tooth out, but it got worse so had a trip to the clinic and have just finished a ten day course of antibiotics. Can life now settle down? Apparently not. The toothless area still hurts and my cough is back.

In spite of all the pain the inconvenience, and the fatigue, what annoys me the most is the mental effects. I can’t concentrate, and it seems to take forever to put my thoughts together. I have a book I’m writing that has been in the final stage for a while now and I can’t think to keep the facts together.

But I’m blogging, you’re thinking, so how bad can it be. I need to do some kind of writing, so the blog is what I’m writing. The pieces are short, contained within that post, and it doesn’t matter if it takes me the whole morning to get it done. And it does. The mistakes I’m making are frequent, spelling, words I need to search for because they don’t come readily to mind and a lot of delete and repeat.
But what would happen, I think, if I didn’t do something to keep my mind active. Word search games are good, crossword puzzles and computer games. When I’m at my worst, I can’t write, but I can’t read either unless it’s a simple story.


So, yeah, I’m thinking a mind is a terrible thing to waste.

No comments:

Post a Comment