Thursday 2 July 2015

MS and Alcohol



I have never been much of a drinker, but have been known to enjoy a nice cocktail or a cold beer on a hot summer day. In winter, especially around the holidays, I liked a nip of Bailey's in my coffee.

I learned years ago, that I can't drink when I know I'm going to drive. My reaction times are much slower and I would never take the risk. So I only drank at home, which was basically never, or when I had a designated driver.

There is another downside to drinking...the loss of my already unpredictable sense of balance. I would stumble more, and lose whatever recovery ability I might have had. The pleasure of a drink lost out against the increased the possibility of a fall.

So, unless I'm in the safety of my own home, I limit my drinking to the non-alcoholic variety.

I don't think I have ever read an article specific to MS and alcohol, so thought this one was worth sharing.


http://ms.about.com/od/livingwellwithms/fl/Reasons-to-Avoid-or-Limit-Alcohol-if-You-Have-MS.htm?utm_source=exp_nl&utm_medium=email&utm_term=list_ms&utm_campaign=list_ms&utm_content=20150701

No comments:

Post a Comment