Thursday 20 August 2015

Noise Intolerance

I discovered that I was noise intolerant many years ago, and found it was most troublesome at family get-togethers. It was the number of ongoing conversations going on at the same time, and I figured my brain just couldn't track it anymore.

The noise level with kids around is always higher, so that added to this uncomfortable situation. I like the music on loud when I drive, but only if I'm alone. Driving, and paying attention to driving, with conversation is enough without music added to the mix.

In a store, there is constant noise and activity, and I have trouble concentrating and paying attention to conversation.

Years ago, I warned my kids. If they wanted to tell me something I needed to know, and remember, they needed to get me alone, in a quiet spot, and make sure they had my attention before talking, otherwise I wouldn't remember.

It's funny, but as much as added noise causes me this kind of difficulty, I don't like silence. I have my television on all the time, usually turned to crime shows. I don't like talk or reality shows because the sound can go from soft to loud and jarring and back again. And on these talk shows there are too many people talking at once vying for attention.

Sharing a link on this topic.

http://ms.about.com/od/livingwellwithms/fl/Tips-for-Dealing-with-Noise-Intolerance-and-Multiple-Sclerosis.htm?utm_source=exp_nl&utm_medium=email&utm_term=list_ms&utm_campaign=list_ms&utm_content=20150805

No comments:

Post a Comment