Monday 15 September 2014

Brain Fog



When I was writing my blog for the A-Z Blog Challenge, I chose “T” is for tree as my topic because they were going to cut down the tall tree in my yard next week.

I had a particularly bad moment, and have lived it twice that day. Brain Fog. I think it’s a case of brain fog, of the word search variety. I was trying to talk about having the ugly tree stump left after they cut the tree down, but could not remember the word ‘stump’ no matter what I did. I called it a root base, and knew it was wrong, knew there was a word for what I was describing, but couldn’t come up with it.

At the end of the blog I mentioned seeing pictures of how trees were made into fairy houses and searched on Pinterest for a picture. Well, I found a picture and it had a caption. ‘Fairy House made out of a tree stump’.

STUMP. Stump was the elusive word I’d been searching my addled brain for, and couldn’t find. I went back and made some corrections in the blog, thinking how much easier it read, how much more sense it made when I used the correct word.

Unfortunately, not all episodes of brain fog are so easily resolved. A recent craft project has made me want to do something arty. I don’t have a good set up for painting and had something else in mind. For further inspiration I went back to Pinterest. The empty search box stared back at me. What was that word for the type of art I was interested in? I can’t remember. I feel like it’s on the tip of my tongue, but I can’t find it.

I searched “Sculpture’. Not what I wanted and though searching through various boards was inspirational, it was not what I was seeking. I tried ‘Embellishments’, not that either. I can picture it in my head, can almost see the ward, but it escapes me.

And with that frustration any energy I had to start some art project has been defeated. It’s just that easy to change a positive mood into a negative, as once again, my brain has let me down. Now I feel no inspiration, no creative energy, and no desire to do anything.




No comments:

Post a Comment