Thursday 13 November 2014

Heavy Feet



Is anyone out there dreading the coming of winter for the same reason as me...heavy footwear?

Cold, wet weather means boots, and boots are heavy, compared to crocs or sandals. For years I’ve gotten away with a sturdy pair of running shoes in lieu of boots. Since I usually only venture out on plowed roads and shovelled walkways, it worked.

There was the odd time, when I had to clean off my windshield and the area around my car had not been shovelled, that I found myself walking in deeper snow. My running shoes proved inadequate and my feet froze. Last year I found a break in the seal between the sole and the upper shoe. It didn’t affect the appearance of the shoe but it assured every venture out in wet weather I would get a soaker.

So, I’m in the market for a pair of boots and need to find something functional, and light in weight. Heavy boots just add to my fatigue.

And then there’s my winter coat. I bought it years ago when I used to go and stand on the bridge for the Highway of Heroes cavalcade. I liked that it was long and covered me from neck to below my knees. But that coat is so heavy. If I’m out shopping I feel the weight of it and it drags me down. I take it off if I’m shopping where I have a cart, but if the choice is wear it or carry it, I wear it.

Simple little things, not something you’d see on any list of items that affect fatigue, but these are a couple that really do it for me. When I buy the boots I’m going to buy a new coat. My 2nd winter coat is worn, with a broken zipper. I could get away with it on milder days but it doesn’t look like we’re going to have too many mild days this winter. I want a ¾ coat, long enough to cover my back.


We had snow today. Just a light dusting but enough that it stayed on the ground. I think I’d better plan to get some shopping done soon, wouldn’t want to be caught unprepared.

No comments:

Post a Comment