Sunday 10 April 2016

A Wretched Week

If nothing else, this wek has taught me that I can no longer manage three days of activity, not in a row at least.

Monday was shopping and out to get my car. Tuesday was more shopping (taking advantage of being in another town) and the Pain Workshop. Wednesday was another, longer trip out of town to have my x-ray and ultrasound. We hit a blinding snowstorm half way there, and turned around.

I was out Tuesday evening, and let me tell you the meeting chairs and the seats at the arena were harsh. I was in a great deal of pain, all night, and managed about 3 hours of sleep. It was easy to make the decision to reschedule my tests. We had lunch out instead and I came home.

The next couple of days were "crash" days. I accomplished nothing, not with the fatigue and brain fog. It was so bad I couldn't keep track of the days, and felt quite out of it.

When I got up this morning, I wanted a shower, and maybe to get out of the house, pretend I was normal and alive.

I got up to the bathroom, and barely made it back to bed. The pain in my back was horrible, the shoulder as bad, and then there's the knee. I had to use the cane, and I never use the cane in the house.  After a pain pill and a rest on the heating pad, I tried again, and could barely move, so it was back to bed.

The frustration proved too much, and I found myself crying with the pain. As I have lived with pain all my adult life, in various degrees, I found this demoralizing, and hoped it was not a sign of things to come.

It was after noon by the time I was able to get up, and I needed to get something to eat, to take more pills.

For all its  rough beginning, the pain eased and I was able to do a few things,as long as I could sit to do them, and am now heading back to bed.

Could I have avoided this day if I had not pushed myself for those three days? We'll see what happens this week, workshop on Tuesday, dentist appointment on Thursday. I'll watch, and see if scheduling my activities with more rest in between avoids a day like today.

No comments:

Post a Comment